Physical Punishment (Bul)
Before I begin, I would like to clarify a couple of things.
First, the punishments are for the discipline. Teachers would not give you punishments because of hatred or personal reasons.
Second, you might think all the students in Korea live in a fear, but not so. It is practiced everyday everywhere, it's common. It looks fearful only to those who did not come from this kind of society. When I was in Korea, I thought it was very natural to get a punishment, if you've done something wrong, or if a teacher says so (?). It would be strange not to get a punishment ever.
Third, harsh punishments are not only practiced in Korea, but in other countries such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, etc.
When do students get punishments?
- When s/he talks during the lecture. It's okay if you talk when you are allowed to, or when everyone just is loud. But if you talk in the class when you should not, then you will get a punishment.
- When s/he gets a bad grade on an exam.
- When s/he could not answer a question.
- When s/he is late for school.
- When s/he did not obey a teacher.
- When s/he did not bow to a teacher or a higher grader.
Back to Korea homepage